Recycling at your business – It's state law
The State of Minnesota has amended its recycling laws (Statute 115A.151), requiring most metro businesses (NAICS 42-81) that generate at least 4 cubic yards of trash per week (and all other businesses in that same building) to recycle at least three types of materials, such as paper, glass, plastic, metal and organics by Jan. 1, 2016. The property owner is responsible for compliance with the law.
All licensed haulers in Plymouth are required to offer recycling services to their business customers. View a list of licensed haulers. It is often cheaper to recycle materials than to throw them away, and recycled material is exempt from Minnesota's solid waste tax on garbage collection service.Help for businesses is available
The county can help you establish your recycling program and provide free resources such as signs, stickers, grants and assistance. See more information from Hennepin County:
- Business recycling grants. Businesses may apply any time for a grant under $10,000 (used primarily for recycling containers). Grants of $10,000 and up to $50,000 are also available for larger and innovative projects. Application deadlines are June 15th and October 15th.
- Hennepin County also offers assistance to schools, including funding. Read more information here School recycling grants.
- Hennepin county can help with removing bulky waste from apartment, condos and townhouses by connecting the property with a local reuse retailer. Contact email@example.com. Read more about recycling at apartments, condos and townhouses.
- See the Hennepin County Green Disposal Guide.
- Hennepin County provides a hazardous waste disposal program for very small quantity generators. For more information, call Hennepin County Environmental Services at 612-348-8100.
- The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency has publications for businesses on dealing with hazardous waste.
Organics accepted at Brooklyn Park Drop-Off Facility
Hennepin County residents and small businesses can drop off organics for free recycling at the Hennepin County Drop-off Facility in Brooklyn Park. View more information.
Solid Waste Program
Plymouth City Hall | 3400 Plymouth Blvd. | Plymouth, MN 55447-1482
P 763-509-5906 | F 763-509-5510 | TDD 763-509-5065