Keep enough supplies in your home to meet your needs for at least three days. Assemble a disaster supplies kit with items you may need in an evacuation. Store the supplies in sturdy, easy to carry containers such as back packs, duffle bags or covered trash containers.
In this Emergency Supplies Kit, include:
- A three-day supply of water (one gallon per person per day) and food that won't spoil.
- One change of clothing and footwear per person, and one blanket or sleeping bag per person.
- A first aid kit that includes your family's prescription medicines. (Ask your physician or pharmacist about storing prescription medications.)
- Emergency tools including a battery-powered radio, flashlight, and plenty of extra batteries.
- An extra set of car keys and a credit card, cash or travelers' checks and coins for a pay phone.
- Sanitation supplies.
- An extra pair of glasses for those needing them.
- Keep important family documents in a waterproof container.
- Keep a smaller disaster supplies kit in the trunk of your car.