Plymouth Skate School teaches ice skating lessons to participants ages 4 to adult. Lessons are taught each season by instructors who are committed to providing a quality experience for all.
Registrations are on a first-come, first-serve basis. Registrations will not be accepted after the first week of the sessions.
- Skate School sessions begin spring, summer, fall and winter. Check the PIC upcoming events calendar for registration deadlines.
- All skaters must be at least 4 years old by the start of the class – no exceptions will be made.
- There are no make-up days.
- Participants receive an open-skating punch card for 4 free sessions, valid for one month after the registered session’s end date.
- Rental skates – available for $3/lesson.
- Advancement is possible in basic skills skating.
- Parents are not allowed on the ice during class time.
- Coaches may be available for private lessons. Contact Kirsten: 763-509-5264.
- Beginning levels are required to wear helmets.
- Skaters will benefit more from a lesson while wearing proper skates. We prefer boots be of leather rather than vinyl, and they should have strong ankle support. Blades should be of high tempered steel and properly sharpened. Double runners are not allowed.
- It is important that all skaters are warm and comfortable while skating. We suggest dressing in layers and request all skaters to wear mittens or gloves.
- No shoes allowed on the ice.
- Students wishing to withdraw must notify the Plymouth Ice Center office at 763-509-5250.
- Withdrawal/refund requests must be made one full week prior to first class.
- There is a $5 handling fee on all refunds.
- Exceptions may be made in the event of an injury or serious illness. A medical note may be required.
This is a good opportunity for skaters to practice or to take private lessons. If space is available, walk-ins cost $16 per hour or $8 per half hour.
Note: Coaches who are Skate School instructors will not be charged to teach on contract ice. All others pay for ice time.
- Register Online
- By phone: 763-509-5250 / 763-509-5200
- In person: 3650 Plymouth Blvd.
Plymouth, MN 55446-3201
Skating Lesson Descriptions
|Beginner 4-6yrs||For children who have never been on the ice. Helmets Required|
|For children who have skated previously and can walk on the ice. They must know how to fall down and get up on their own.|
Pre-Alpha Level 1
|For children who have very minimal skating experience.|
Pre-Alpha Level 2
|One foot glide, right/left. Two foot glide. Forward and backward swizzles. Backward wiggle, two foot turns in place, forward pumps on circle.|
|Alpha||Pre-req: Pre-Alpha. Forward stroking, forward crossover (both directions), one foot snowplow stop, backward one foot glides, backward pumps on circle, moving two foot turns.|
|Beta||Pre-req: Alpha. Backward stroking, backward crossovers both directions, t-stop, backward edges on circle, side toe hop/shuffle, forward edges.|
|Gamma||Pre-req: Beta. Forward outside 3-turns, inside open Mohawk, hockey stop, moving backward two foot turns on circle, chasse.|
|Delta||Pre-req: Gamma. Forward inside 3 turn, forward consecutive edges, shoot the duck/lunge bunny hop, backward crossovers to backward outside glide, backward outside edge transitions on circle.|
|Freestyle 1-6||Pre-req: Delta. Advanced figure skating lessons. Jumps and spins.|
|Adults 16 and older||Beginner through advanced levels using basic skills program listed above.|
|Hockey 1||For those with little to no experience on the ice. Must have hockey skates. Falling and recovery, proper stance, stationary snowplow stop, forward marching, dips and glides, backwards wiggle, stationary two foot turns, forward swizzles, rocking horses, t-stops.|
|Hockey 2||Pre-req: Hockey 1. For those with moderate skating experience. Must have hockey skates. Forward power swizzles, backward two foot glides, alternating forward/backward C-cuts, backward snowplow stops, forward/backward C-cuts on circle plus glides, skateboard push, t-push with glides.|
|Hockey 3||Pre-req: Hockey 2. For those with considerable skating experience. Must have hockey skates. One foot snowplow stops, full stride v-pushes, shuffle stride, backward hustle, forward and backward crossovers, hockey stops, quick starts, forward power turns, mohawks, alternating backward crossovers with wide transitions.|