In addition to browsing the news and updates listed below, residents rely on the city's bimonthly newsletter as a primary source of city news.
Plymouth News is packed with information about upcoming events, city news, municipal programs and important seasonal reminders.
News & Updates
The following listings contain timely news and updates about city events, programs, services and more. To receive these updates as emails, sign up for eNotify email updates.
Closure of Rockford Road bridge over I-494 set to begin July 12
The Rockford Road (County Road 9) bridge over I-494 in Plymouth is set to close to traffic beginning at 10 p.m. Friday, July 12. The bridge will remain closed for approximately 100 days, as part of Phase 2 of the project.
Weekend Closure of I-494, Ramps begins July 12
To allow for demolition of the bridge, I-494 will be closed from I-394 to I-694/I-94 beginning at 10 p.m. Friday, July 12. The I-494 roadway and ramps are set to reopen by 5 a.m. Monday, July 15.
The weekend closure includes the following ramps to access I-494:
Ramps Closing at 9 p.m. July 12
- Westbound I-394 to northbound I-494
- Eastbound I-394 to northbound I-494
- I-394/Highway 12 to northbound I-494
- Carlson Parkway to northbound I-494
- County Road 6 to northbound I-494
- Highway 55 to northbound I-494
- Bass Lake Road to southbound I-494
Ramps Closing at 10 p.m. July 12
- Westbound I-694/I-94 to southbound I-494
- Eastbound I-94 to southbound I-494
Motorists should follow the posted detour route, which includes Highway 169.
Weekend Closure of Rockford/I-494 Interchange
In addition, the Rockford Road/I-494 interchange, including the ramps to access I-494, will be closed for the weekend beginning at 10 p.m. Friday, July 12 to allow for demolition of the bridge. Rockford Road will be closed between Vinewood and Annapolis/Berkshire lanes through the weekend.
All four ramps are set to reopen by 5 a.m. Monday, July 15, but the bridge will remain closed for the remainder of Phase 2.
Phase 2: Bridge Demolition and Reconstruction
Phase 2 involves demolition and reconstruction of the Rockford Road bridge over I-494 (the bridge will be closed for approximately 100 days).
All four ramps will be open to traffic during this phase, but motorists will not be able to cross over I-494. Motorists may turn right onto/at the top of the ramps. For example:
- To use the northbound I-494 ramp, motorists must come from the east and turn right onto the northbound I-494 ramp.
- To use the southbound I-494 ramp, motorists must come from the west and turn right onto the southbound I-494 ramp.
- To access Rockford Road east of I-494, motorists may exit northbound I-494 and turn right onto eastbound Rockford Road.
- To access Rockford Road west of I-494, motorists may exit southbound I-494 and turn right onto westbound Rockford Road.
Detour: Motorists should follow the posted detour routes during Phase 2, which include I-494, Highway 55 and Bass Lake Road. Local traffic detour route includes Highway 55, Northwest Boulevard (County Road 61) and Rockford Road. Download the Phase 2 Detour Map (PDF)
Phase 2 may require additional night or weekend closures of I-494. After the completion of this phase, the new bridge will be open to traffic. All dates and timing of phases are weather dependent.
The project will improve traffic flow and increase the capacity of the interchange. To best accommodate access for nearby businesses and residents traveling the affected area, the project will be completed in three phases.
In addition to replacement of the bridge, the project includes a wider bridge with dual, dedicated left turn lanes onto I-494, wider ramps with improved turn lanes onto Rockford Road and improvements for pedestrians and bicyclists.
Reminder: Support local business – please remember that area businesses are open during construction.
For more information, visit the project webpage at plymouthmn.gov/RockfordBridge.